[Gllug] Debian versions

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Oct 30 10:53:21 UTC 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:16:10AM +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> On Oct 30 2002, Jonathan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently running debian woody but I want to install a couple of
> > packages from testing (along with any of the dependencies it needs.  Could
> > someone suggest the best way of going about this?
> >
> > apt-get install <packagename>/testing
> >
> > seems like the right thing but that needs testing in my sources file, which
> > would cause everything to update wouldn't it?
>
> No problem. You can use the pinning features of apt. Just add the
> relevant lines in /etc/apt/sources.list, then put this in
> /etc/apt/preferences:

By "the relevant lines" he means that you should duplicate the existing
lines for woody, replacing 'woody' with 'sarge' (or 'stable' with
'testing').  apt-get then builds package lists for both distributions
and you use /etc/apt/apt_preferences to set which package comes from
where.  Stig's example sets relative priorities for different
distributions, so that a package would be sought first in stable, then
(if not found) in testing and so on.  You can also specify preferences
for individual packages.

> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 900
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 300
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 200
>

> After that, do an apt-get update as normal and then do
>
> 	apt-get install -t testing <packagename>
>
> Read apt-get's man page for more info.

and man apt_preferences

--
Bruce