[Gllug] Debian versions

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Wed Oct 30 10:16:10 UTC 2002

On Oct 30 2002, Jonathan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running debian woody but I want to install a couple of
> packages from testing (along with any of the dependencies it needs.  Could
> someone suggest the best way of going about this?
>
> apt-get install <packagename>/testing
>
> seems like the right thing but that needs testing in my sources file, which
> would cause everything to update wouldn't it?

No problem. You can use the pinning features of apt. Just add the
relevant lines in /etc/apt/sources.list, then put this in
/etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 300

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 200

After that, do an apt-get update as normal and then do

	apt-get install -t testing <packagename>

Read apt-get's man page for more info.

Stig
--
brautaset.org