[Gllug] flushing dns cache

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Mon Oct 28 14:27:19 UTC 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, SteveC wrote:

> i hope this is a really stoopid question - i have a debian box that won't
> deliver mail. exim says example.com is unroutable for mail but my three
> other debian boxes like it just fine, and they are hanging off the same
> dns server. it can ping it etc. example.com did have some dns problems
> last week but is fine now. i tried rebooting [ugh] but no luck.

Why are you trying to mail example.com? my understanding is that
example.com has been set asside by the IANA for use in documentation and
other 'example's. There are no working email addresses at eaxmple.com, it
has no MX records, and the A record it points too (192.0.34.72) isn't
running an SMTP daemon on prot 25. Are you using example.com as your
`local' intranet domain or something? Perhaps exim has been changed to not
even attempt to deliver to that address as it's a well known `example'
address that shouldn't be mailed.

-Robert.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk