[Gllug] ssh with mozilla

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Fri Oct 18 12:07:52 UTC 2002

On Fri 18 Oct, Jonathan Dye bloviated thus:
> I currently read my email with mutt over an ssh tunnel and I send mail by
> using ssh to run sendmail on the remote box.  Is there a way to do a similar
> thing with Mozilla?  I can use imaps with mozilla as that is enabled on the
> server but I don't want to use my companies smtp server as they have a
> policy of recording all emails. My server owner won't enable email relaying
> from outside his network so at the time I set it up ssh was a good idea and
> easy to set up.

Attach ssh to an entry in inetd.conf on the local machine for port 25.
Get it to open a tunnel to port 25 on the remote server and deliver
mail through that to the remote smtp server.  You'll need to set up
ssh to use password-less keys.  Now point Mozilla's outbound smtp at
port 25 on localhost.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis,
and only enough blood to run one at a time.

- Robin Williams