[Gllug] Changing destination of shell output

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 26 13:02:26 UTC 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Bernard Peek stated:
> I recall that this sort of thing was possible under MPE running on
> HP3000 minicomputers. You could override a program's choice of file,
> even if the name of the file was compiled in to the code.

Oh, an LD_PRELOAD could do that on Linux (although it couldn't override
stuff opened by glibc itself I think, like the locale databases, at
least not in glibc-2.3).

But *changing* it while the program was running without the program
knowing is the sort of thing that needs kernel assistance that's not
there --- well, not in stock Linux. User-mode Linux could probably do
it, as could something like MOSIX (when you think about it process
migration really *needs* this sort of thing...)

--
`The tooth fairy teaches children that they can sell body parts for money.'
                       --- David Richerby

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk