[Gllug] Compaq Compatibility

Pavel Bradut Boghita bradut at freeuk.com
Fri Oct 4 18:31:11 UTC 2002

The stuff bellow reflects my experience with Compaq generally not really
Linux specific.
Compaqs have been the standard in my workplace for many years.
If you are thinking to buy the EVO510 don't buy the space saver, buy the
minitower version. The spacesavers are really difficult to work on and quite
difficult to upgrade (everything is packed way too tight for my liking).
So far so good with the new Ev0510's, we didn't get too much trouble with
them but it's early days yet. Quality of the hard-drives is something to
watch for. Many of their EVO500 I've seen ( the model replaced now by 510)
have had hard-drive failures soon after installation. The problem is not new,
we had it on Deskpros as well.
In terms of reliability I rather buy a Dell. But I guess it's all up to the
individual experience with either make. I found Compaq technical helpdesk a
hit and miss experience, more a miss than a hit.
In terms of price Compaq's seem a bit on the expensive side, not justified by
anything in my view. Again I found Dell a lot more willing to close  a deal
and have you as a customer.

I can see I went on a bit, but I hope all this helps.

Regards, Bradut

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk