[Gllug] Phoneline DACSed today. Now reduced to 28.8kbps

Matthew Thompson matt at actuality.co.uk
Wed Oct 9 08:16:30 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 08:03 AM, Chris Bell wrote:

>    There was no change to the analogue speed on my line after BT
> connected
> the ADSL, although when my ADSL feed arrived, a BT engineer turned up
> without warning at a house two doors away and removed all the BT ADSL
> kit.
> The son was paying for the feed by direct debit, fully paid up, but
> away
> working. His parents let the engineer in without question, and he is
> still
> battling to get it back.

That's even worse than what happened a few years back to me. I was one
of the triallists  for ADSL - originally with Freeserve. At the end of
the trial I wasn't very happy with Freeserve's insistence on filtering
off SMTP through their own servers as I was running a mailing list from
home. One of the great things about ADSL, not having to rely on other
people's servers.

So I duly followed the instructions BT and Freeserve gave, cancelling
the service and waiting a week (actually 2 as BT couldn't get their
system right quickly) before re-ordering with a smaller independent ISP
who would offer me a routed connection.

The installation day arrived and the engineer came, stuck test
equipment on the line and walked off telling us that there was no way
that we could have DSL as the line was not upto it. I complained to the
ISP who pressured BT and they sent a few engineers round - even after
re-routing the copper that goes to the flat they still couldn't get DSL
working even though I'd been happily running with it for nearly a year!

Not long after we moved to a flat  under 1/2 a amile from the exchange
in a commercial area to make sure we could get DSL ;o)

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk