[Gllug] Volunteers needed for Install Fest

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Oct 24 17:30:20 UTC 2002

On Thursday, 24 Oct 2002, Ms. Lene Jensen wrote:
>On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Jason Clifford wrote:
>>I am not disputing that Red Hat have a right to do this. I am merely
>>stating that if RH are no longer willing to allow people like John Winters
>>(Linux Exporium) to distribute GPL CDs of their distro I don't feel that
>>they deserve the communities continued promotion to the same level.
>That is just not true. If he wants to reproduce Red Hat CD's, give our
>marketing department a ring, and get an agreement.

This is directly in contradiction to
<http://www.redhat.com/about/corporate/trademark/page7.html>
which states;

Q: Can she call or brand her product "Red Hat Linux"?
A: No, not unless she has received
   express permission from Red Hat either in writing or by qualifying and
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^
   complying with the "Trademark Permissions".

[The "Trademark Permissions" do not admit of a Winters-style activity.]

Note also the non-free licence on redhat-logos.

>than the phone call!  We just don't want anyone gobling a few RPM's
>together and say "hey, this is Red Hat, man!" Guess who they will blame
>if this dodgy CD doesn't work?  Red Hat.  Is _that_ really so bad?

Ah, and you _just coincidentally_ happen to have prevented people from
selling exact duplicates of your ISO-9660 images, something that would
be trivial to permit explicitly.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk