[Gllug] Volunteers needed for Install Fest

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Oct 24 17:26:00 UTC 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Ms. Lene Jensen wrote:

> That is just not true. If he wants to reproduce Red Hat CD's, give our
> marketing department a ring, and get an agreement.  It doesn't cost more
> than the phone call!

John tried to do that when you last changed the TM licensing. At the time,
some weeks after he approached RH about it he'd had no reply. Perhaps that
has now changed.

>  We just don't want anyone gobling a few RPM's
> together and say "hey, this is Red Hat, man!" Guess who they will blame
> if this dodgy CD doesn't work?  Red Hat.  Is _that_ really so bad?

In that case perhaps an amendment to the wording of the trademark license
would be in order. If the above is that RH really mean then surely a
statement along the lines of:

"you may distribute the Red Hat official logos with an unaltered Red Hat
Linux distribution"

along with

"you must clearly state that the product you are selling does not entitle
the purchaser to any support from Red Hat Inc".

> I have spoken to the marketing several times on this issue (people
> keep saying "We cannot do this and we cannot do that"), but it always
> turns out that they haven't even asked whether they could or not.

Who, specifically, should those who are affected by this contact?

Perhaps previously their attempts have been misdirected.

I've long used and recommended Red Hat Linux. While I am starting to use
Debian more for myself I don't consider it suitable for a beginner due to
the poor installation routines - something that RH does very well IMV. If
this issue is as easy to remedy as you have stated I will very much
welcome that.

I will still be promoting RH at the Install Fest by virtue of demo'ing the
install and various configuration elements.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk