[Gllug] c++ newbie complier probs

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Fri Oct 25 08:16:07 UTC 2002

Nix wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Tethys mused:
<snip>
> The C++ books I rank as `indispensably useful' and keep by my side
> (except when I lose them, which is too often) are, going from most
> tutorialish to most referential:
>
> - Lippman and LaJoie's _C++ Primer_ (3rd ed is out now but I have
>   only the 2nd); useful even after you've learnt C++ and a superb
>   tutorial. (Well, I imagine it would be, although I read it after
>   I'd learned C++ and liked it a lot anyway).

>From what I remember the 2nd edition was out before the ISO C++ standard and
some of it has changed since then (exceptions I think?) so definatley get
the 3rd.  Althought, whether your compiler supports the standard is another
matter!

> - Both Meyers books (_Effective C++_ and _More Effective C++_)
<snip>
> - The _STL Tutorial and Reference Guide_ by Musser & Saini
<snip>
> - _Generic Programming and the STL_, by Matt Austern
<snip>
>   Be warned, the previous two books will twist your mind inside out:
>   after reading them you'll have trouble writing a data structure
>   or a manipulator of data in any language without pining for the STL
>   so you can write them *properly*.

For mind twisting try Modern C++ Design by Andrei Alexandrescu.

> - `Exceptional C++' by Herb Sutter. These are C++ Guru of the Week
>    articles (from comp.lang.c++.moderated), radically expanded and
>    souped-up and turned into a book. Wonderful, mind-expanding but
> heavy going fare :)

Also, `More Exceptional C++' by Herb and check out the Guru of the Week web
pages at www.gotw.ca/gotw/

> - The C++ Standard. Almost impenetrable, but if you're really stumped
>   or want the Indisputable Truth and can read standardese, this is
>   what the compiler hackers read.
>
> Also, the Stroustrup is quite useful, but only to teach you the
> syntax, really, and what matters about C++ is how you *do* things
> with that syntax.

> And check out the Boost libraries (at
<http://www.boost.org/>;
<snip>
I agree totally, great stuff goes on there!

And as a shameless plug, join the ACCU (www.accu.org) as the journals are
good (and cheep) and the mailing lists are a useful aid for c++ developers.

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk