[Gllug] c++ newbie complier probs

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 26 12:56:35 UTC 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Jonathan Dye stated:
> Nix wrote:
>> - Lippman and LaJoie's _C++ Primer_ (3rd ed is out now but I have
>>   only the 2nd); useful even after you've learnt C++ and a superb
>>   tutorial. (Well, I imagine it would be, although I read it after
>>   I'd learned C++ and liked it a lot anyway).
>
>>From what I remember the 2nd edition was out before the ISO C++ standard and
> some of it has changed since then (exceptions I think?) so definatley get
> the 3rd.

The 2nd mentions templates, but not the STL (how could it? it came out
in '92; the STL and namespaces both postdate it!) but I'd be amazed if
the 3rd didn't.

I doubt you could find the 2nd anywhere outside second-hand bookshops,
in any case :)

>           Althought, whether your compiler supports the standard is another
> matter!

As far as I know, none do (maybe KAI C++ does?) although some compilers
are pretty damned close now, like (plug plug) G++. ;}

>>   Be warned, the previous two books will twist your mind inside out:
>>   after reading them you'll have trouble writing a data structure
>>   or a manipulator of data in any language without pining for the STL
>>   so you can write them *properly*.
>
> For mind twisting try Modern C++ Design by Andrei Alexandrescu.

Oh yes. How could I have missed that. Andrei is an amazing hacker. :)

>> - `Exceptional C++' by Herb Sutter. These are C++ Guru of the Week
>>    articles (from comp.lang.c++.moderated), radically expanded and
>>    souped-up and turned into a book. Wonderful, mind-expanding but
>> heavy going fare :)
>
> Also, `More Exceptional C++' by Herb and check out the Guru of the Week web

ooo, is there a sequel now? More gotws?

Must buy. :)

>> And check out the Boost libraries (at
> <http://www.boost.org/>;
> <snip>
> I agree totally, great stuff goes on there!

There's a new boost out now, heavily revised boost::Python and some
other interesting stuff... although for my money the most useful stuff
in there is the pointer classes and the Boost Graph Library, most of it
is useful a lot of the time...

... definitely the weirdest stuff in there is the lambda
library. Almost-but-not-quite anonymous functions in C++ via operator
overloading, weird, weird...

> And as a shameless plug, join the ACCU (www.accu.org) as the journals are
> good (and cheep) and the mailing lists are a useful aid for c++ developers.

Agreed, again. :)

--
`The tooth fairy teaches children that they can sell body parts for money.'
                       --- David Richerby

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk