[Gllug] LDAP

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Sat Oct 19 06:57:49 UTC 2002

Xander D Harkness wrote:

> I know there are some very good resources on the net for LDAP.
>
> I would like something to curl up with and read, laptops are not so
> friendly :-)
>
> Can someone please recommend a good book to implementLDAP services from
> scratch (if there is such a book!)?

My advice is to go with the Mark Wilcox book from Wrox.
Yes - there is a deeply dodgy picture of a bloke with a moustache on the
front,
but the book is excellent. Good solid examples and real world cases.
Mark was a campus sysadmin, who was tasked with setting up LDAP. The book
is the result of his getting to know things in a good amount of depth.
http://www.wrox.com/books/1861002211.htm

Surprisingly, there is no OReilly book on LDAP.
If you need to use Perl with LDAP, there is a good section in Perl for
Systems Administration.
Oh, and use the Graham Barr Perl modules.

Don't get any of the big 'doorstop' Netscape reference books.
They are no doubt good- and I do see them on people's shelves, but they
are heavy
technical references.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk