[Gllug] roaming problem

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Sun Oct 27 17:03:14 UTC 2002

Alain Williams(addw at phcomp.co.uk)@Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 05:13:56PM +0100:

> I take my laptop all sorts of places, plug it into a customer's network, run a script
> (set up IP address, /etc/resolv.conf, ..., default printer, perhaps NFS mount something) & off I go.
>
> But it means that I need to: boot it, switch to VT1, login as root, back to VT7, Ctl-Alt-Backspace
> (to kill X), wait for X to restart & then login.

if you use mandrake (or possibly redhat), have a look at the boot
profile management stuff that linuxconf offers.  it allows you to
'checkout' of version control key system files and configurations based
upon a kernel boot time paramater.

i.e. you can boot with something like:
linux profile=Home
or
linux profile=cust1

and it'll check out whicever files are required for that particular
setup.  a very neet idea, especially for those with laptops who switch
networks frequently.

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk