[Gllug] Alternative e-mail client for those poor Windows users

Ian Norton bredroll at atari.org
Wed Oct 16 23:49:48 UTC 2002

On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 11:48:09PM +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
> I've tried a bunch of different mail clients (linux ones) and am
> happiest with mozilla

Yup, mozilla is alot faster at IMAP than evolution,

> Mike - if you have any pointer for hacking the prefs they would be much
> appreciated - I'd particularly like to get rid of the alert that happens
> every time mozilla fails to connect (I usually leave my machine up and
> popping/filtering/forwarding but once I get an alert it stops till I
> come home and click OK)

ditto with the gnome2 mail check applet.

> I realise this is going back to Linux but..

yay

> I found Mutt amazingly powerful but found browsing folders and periodic
> mail organising to be frustrating.

i must admit the whole grabbing a bunch of mail and putting it somewhere else
isnt great in mutt, but i tend to use procmail for this.

> Kmail is great for many things (esp sig checking) but last I looked
> didn't have imap filters

soooo soo unstable :-)

> Evolution is too much like outlook for my tastes

looks nice, i like the time managment stuff in it, but it still just screws up
sometimes, particularly with about 2000 mails in an imap folder

> Balsa just never seemed to work

worked for me but managed to corrupt my home dir once, ill stay away from that :-(

> Mozilla is my favorite browser and opening the mail client as well
> doesn't seem to create as much overhead as using kmail and mozilla
>
> Now if mozilla just had gpg support ...

yay, mozilla :-D. what we really need is a mail client that is like a galeon to
mozilla-mail :-) its still bloaty but its not bad,

> PS I think Eudora is bloatware these days - can you still get old versions ?

i am proud to admit ive never used it :-)

oh, one thing, please never ever use incredimail, its sooo evil! 'send someone
a 3d email, add silly wallpaper' gah!! everything thats wrong with mail, :-)
(although it is intertaining) and it has no good imap support,

ahhhh

bredroll

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk