[Gllug] IA32? IA64? x86...

Huw Lynes huw-l at moving-picture.com
Thu Oct 3 12:45:47 UTC 2002

On Thursday 03 October 2002 13:13, you wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 01:02:42PM +0100, Tethys wrote:
> > Avtar Marwaha writes:
> > >One of the problems with IA32 is that it is not the best
> > > instruction set,
> >
> > Congratulations. You're the winner of "Understatement of the year,
> > 2002".
> >
> > Tet (who still laments the fact that the beautiful m88k instruction
> > set was never as successful as it deserved to be...)
>
> Marketing, marketing, also
> 	VHS vs Betamax
> 	M$ Windows vs *nix

I had always thought that VHS vs BetaMax was a price thing. Beta was
technically much higher quality but also higher price. Consumers voted
with their wallets which of course exascerbated the price differential
once the economies of scale kicked in.
However Beta is higher quality, which is why there are racks of them
just outside my office.

It should be noted that I am not old enough to have actually had to
make a financial decision regarding VHS/Beta so I could be wrong.

--

| Huw Lynes               | The Moving Picture Company  |
| System Administrator    | 127 Wardour Street          |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk