[Gllug] IA32? IA64? x86...

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Thu Oct 3 12:21:14 UTC 2002

Alain Williams wrote:
> Marketing, marketing, also
> 	VHS vs Betamax
> 	M$ Windows vs *nix

I was under the impression that neither of those was to do with
marketing, I thought the main reason VHS started to win over Betamax was
because Betamax was more expensive than VHS and also the proliferation
of pr0n movies on VHS. The reason for M$ market dominance isn't really
marketing either, it was that Unix systems in the 1980's cost many many
times more to purchase than a x86 compatible and that you could run
visicalc etc. on the x86 machines. Again this would have been due to the
cheaper system winning out. (now if you said amiga vs. M$ and marketing...)

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk