[Gllug] OT: Can someone please help me yet again?

Matthew Thompson matt at actuality.co.uk
Mon Oct 28 16:34:51 UTC 2002

On Monday, October 28, 2002, at 03:06 PM, Dan Kolb wrote:

> Presumably they like the Groupware features of Exchange, then? Would
> it not be
> possible to set up a real mail server for handling mail, and just use
> Exchange
> for the other groupware functionality? Presumably you could configure
> Outlook
> to use IMAP, and point it to a different mail server?

Not easily, Outlook, by default, uses MAPI for all it's scheduling
requirements etc through Exchange and requires an email account on the
Exchange box for this. MAPI will almost always be the default mail
transfer mechanism too, without re-educating all users to tell outlook
to send via a specific account it will be hard.

Personally I don't use Exchange directly onto the internet - it is
forced to relay through a sendmail box. Exchange is closed off on our
Internal network and sendmail handles most mail alot more smoothly - I
can also get Sendmail handling large mailshots and influxes alot more
gracefully that Exchange has ever coped.

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk