OT: OS X editors (was Re: [Gllug] ADVERT: Free Access to IBM Mainframe running Linux)

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Wed Oct 16 09:34:31 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002, at 10:15 Europe/London, Wulf
Forrester-Barker wrote:

> Simon <sms at lateral.net> said:
>
>> ... I'm still looking for a native text editor which is any good
>> (other than
>> emacs/vi)
>
> Vim?

*ahem* Go back and read my email again. I've quoted the relevant line.
I was looking for an OS X native app, with a proper Mac interface.
BBEdit doesn't cut the mustard. And I'm an emacs man, myself ;)

> Mind you, I don't know if it runs on OS X but I can't see why it
> wouldn't (out of interest, does OS X make it as easy as Linux to roll
> your own custom binaries from source?).

fink rocks for this, apparently. It's a port of apt and the debian dpkg
tools to OS X. Couple that with the developer tools, and I guess that
the answer is "yes"

Cheers,

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk