[Gllug] Pagers

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Tue Oct 8 14:49:43 UTC 2002

Daniel Andersson wrote:
>> RE: Using a mobile phone, I though SMS was unreliable for that sort
>> of thing. It's not unheard of to get messages 12 hours after they've
>> been sent. I know that's happened to me..
>
> very true
> for important server alerts you should probably go for pager or have
> a few different mobiles set up, on different networks, all receiving
> the important alert..

My experience with pagers is that if you happen to be out of reception when
the message is sent then you never get it as there is no notification back
to the sender as to whether you recieved it or not.  However, with sms the
service center will keep trying to send it until your phone responds.  I may
just have had cheep pagers though?

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk