[Gllug] LinuxVolunteering summary

Alex Gonzalez alex.gonzalez at freeuk.com
Tue Oct 1 22:50:59 UTC 2002

So, let's start to move things forward.

Reading through the list I have compiled a list of people interested in
helping out and their concerns/proposals.

After that I suggest a list of points we should center our discussion on.

Please excuse me if I miss somebody, forget something or misinterpret
it, feel free to correct/improve my comments:

Ian Norton: Travel and meals should be paid.

Ben f: Not Linux experts will gain experience.

Paul Bradut Boghita: Establish the offer, and an easy to market
presentation.

Daniel Anderson: Sub groups to help local charities.

Steve Nicholson: Web page with basic info and contact details needed.
                  Somebody to champion the idea.
                  Mailing list through gllug.
Sean Tohill:     Could use university lab for free downloads.
                  Posibility of recycling computer equipment if
collected                   in short notice.
                  Would help to write application for NGOs.

Mark Preston: Offer transport and willing to learn.
John Hearns: Get together at Linux Expo.
              Don't restrict it to London.
              Press release, publitise it to Dean at LCN.

Simon Rumble: Rent-a-geek like structure.
               Server not desktop.
               E-smith: Simple and elegant, easy to configure and manage.
               Low achievable aims.
               Experience geeks.
               Sub mailing lists for individual clients.

Alex Gonzalez: My comments and proposals follow.

Prioritised tasks:

1) Decide a name. Proposals: squad-geek ( Simon, correct me if incorrect
),  LinuxVolunteering.
2) Set up a mailing list. Maybe introduce ourselves and send some kind
of skill list to make clear areas of expertise, who to ask when and
about what, and what we can offer as a group.
3) Decide services offer. Technical details. Gurantees and support.
4) Speak about PC recycling. What if the NGOs don't have adequate
equipment, can we help?  In www.do-it.org.uk I found a NGO which recycle
PCs and equipment. Should we contact them to see if they would help
other NGOs?
5) Decide project aims and roadmap, and short easy to market presentation.
6) Set up a web page. Wording to be decided in group. Should explain how
  NGOs can contact us and how things will move from then on.
7) Press release, PR and marketing. Maybe not really big, just enough to
find a couple of willing NGOs :)

Thinking about how to make decisions, I suggest a flat structure were
issues are decided on simple mayority, were we are under no obligation
and we invest only the time we can. If as a group something is decided,
individuals are free not to feel tied to the group decisions.

Everybody welcome, anybody who is member of the mailing list will have a
vote.

I think this is flexible enough to meet most needs.

Any comments?

Alex

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk