[Gllug] Javascript Books

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Thu Oct 24 09:57:11 UTC 2002

Hi

We are currently providing 'cgi' access to csutomers on our web site, to
various Cobol report programs which provide Stock Reports etc.

So far, the various 'form' parameters that are passed to the cgi programs
are static in nature and can be all presented for filling in on a simple
web page using the standard html 'form' construct.

However, I now need to provide a report which requires different input
depending on what variation of the information it is expected to supply.
The 'dumb screen' version, for instance, will take the user through a
heircarchy of prompts which differ depending on the previous response.

Whilst I could present an initial form, process the response and then
present another form depending on that response, followed by another ....
this does seem a rather clumsy way of doing things.

I have a feeling that 'javascript' embedded into the web form may provide the
answers.   If that is the case, then I should appreciate some recommendations
as to a good book to buy.  By the way, most of my books to date are O'Reilly
which generally seems to be a good publisher.

I would mention that I am very much self-taught on computers and programming,
so would like to avoid anything that it is too cerebral, but on the other hand
I find the 'Idiots guide to...' style books just a bit to 'idiotic' !!

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk