[Gllug] Publicly available archives

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Thu Oct 24 10:10:01 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 00:57, Andrew Black wrote:
> I don't wish to be a moaner. but I was a bit suprised to discover that the
> pearls of wisdom on this group are archived for the world (and spammers) to
> see.
> eg http://list.ftech.net/pipermail/gllug/2002-October/027761.html
> Do we have a policy on this - I would prefer if they are only available to
> subscibers!

<subscriber hat on>I would object to the closing of the archives, it
serves no purpose, nothing discussed on this list is confidential
material (or if it is, that's your problem).  The archives add to the
existing body of information available to anyone who wishes to use Linux
and this is all to the good, and if it saves one person asking a FAQ
that's an added bonus.</a>

<list admin/server admin hat on>The archiver automatically munges email
addresses, I can alter the server config to reject the common spam
crawlers but this will be of only limited effect as the bastards are
constantly morphing anyway.  Closing the list archives does nothing to
add to the quality of the list or it's discussions.

However as ever I personally will follow the majority view in the
configuration of the list (within reason).
</>

   Mark

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>