[Gllug] Linux Install Fest - 2nd November

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 19:47:11 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-21 at 17:05, Steve Cobrin wrote:
> On Monday 21 October 2002 16:45, Eric Lee wrote:
> > I have a 2 year old HP Omnibook XE2, currently with Windows 98
> > installed.  If I bring it along, and I realize this is a pretty stupid
> > question, will someone be willing to help me install Linux on it?  (I'm
> > already running Linux on my desktop, but bought it pre-installed from
> > DNUK.)
>
> sure, how big a disk is installed? How much is spare?
>
> Try and bring out a listing of the full-spec of the machine, from the
> manufacture site, especially any information about network card, modem, any
> pcmcia cards, graphics processor, etc.
>
> Try running Belarc Windows PC Audit tool
> (http://www.bararc.com/free_download.html) and printing off the output.

Bringing along the info from http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ for your
laptop model (if yours is there) is very useful too - I've found the
stuff here very useful in the past - at the very least it gives you some
idea how much hardware other people have got working on that model.

Cheers,

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk