[Gllug] ADVERT: Free Access to IBM Mainframe running Linux

Thom May thom at positive-internet.com
Wed Oct 16 12:16:58 UTC 2002

* Simon Stewart (sms at lateral.net) wrote :
> On Tuesday, Oct 15, 2002, at 17:51 Europe/London, Thom May wrote:
>
> >fink install mutt ;-)
>
> Possibly a small amount of overkill there. But might end up doing it
> anyway. :)

It works pretty well, actually. and uses apt/dpkg backend, so it's all good
;-)

> >looks beautiful with lovely truetype enabled terminals doing full alpha
> >transparency.
> >I really rather like OS X...
>
> It's quite nice. The terminal scrolls at a painful speed, and I'm still
> looking for a native text editor which is any good (other than
> emacs/vi)
Hrm. 10.2.1 seems to have very whizzy terminals, at least on my TiBook.

> Ideally, something which does syntax highlighting of perl,
> ruby, PHP, XML, C, C++ and java. At least. If it can cope with the mix
> of HTML and PHP without choking, and also doesn't mind JSP or velocity
> macros, I'd appreciate that.

I'm using jedit, actually. It looks like a native OS X app, and is pretty
swift once loaded. jedit.sf.net
The native vim build seems quite slow, but i need to play with that.

Project builder looks quite cute, but i've not played with it.

 -Thom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk