[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Mon Oct 28 16:04:04 UTC 2002

Dermot Moynihan(dermoyn at onetel.net.uk)@Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 03:21:10PM +0000:
> I bought my first ever Linux OS Saturday: SUSE 8.1 Pro. Well, after
> spending all day yesterday trying to get my external modem, which it has
> recognised, and which appears to work, to dial my ISP's number and get me
> access to the Internet, and failing dismally, I'm at my wits end.
>  The modem does work - I have Mandrake on another H/D and I checked it
> there and I was able to get on the Internet no problem.
> Don't assume from the last sentence that I know much about Linux. My
> knowledge would fit on the head of a pin. And a sharp one at that.
> I'm trying to get away from Gates but alas, the road is all up hill. I may
> have to invest in a pair of stout boots. They weren't included with the
> package.

oh dear, thats rather unfortunate.

in what way does it fail under suse?  is the modem dialing out?  lights
flashing, wailing sounds?  or is it failing later on, perhaps at the
authentication stage?

you might want to have a look at the ends of the logfiles for more info
about where its failing.  /var/log/{messages|daemon.log|pppd.log|syslog}
and maybe some others.  (it varies on distros, and i dont know suse)

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 [a] The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than
 the British or Americans.

 [b] On the other hand, the French eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer
 heart attacks than the British or Americans.

 [c] Conclusion: Eat what you like. It's speaking English that kills you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk