[Gllug] browsers

Steve Nicholson steve at kiwibum.com
Thu Oct 17 21:57:44 UTC 2002

> than it is now.  We decided to make our site compatible with IE and Netscape
> because these were, and still are, the browsers used by the overwhelming
> majority of web users.  Since then (almost 2 years ago), Opera's popularity
> has grown but it is still insignificant - a recent survey estimates that
> less than 1% of web users have Opera as their browser

The thing that always annoys me about people making decisions from these statics is they don't look at the numbers just the percentage.  1% is a small amount until you look at it out of 100,000 or 1,000,000 visitors a month, then it starts to mean something.  I know sites that made the decision to only bother with IE because, "it has 80% of the market and not worth the extra work for the other 20%".  They were looking at over 100,000 visitors a month, so basically with out even thinking about it said "we are going to piss off 20,000 people a month"!  Funny thing is I don't see any real shops in the high streets thinking this way with their customers.

And don't get me started with UK banks!

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk