[Gllug] browsers

Jonathan Harker jon at jonathanharker.co.uk
Thu Oct 17 21:28:38 UTC 2002

On Friday 18 October 2002 7:24 am, Clare Hillyard Melia wrote:
> --snip --
> Since then (almost 2 years ago), Opera's popularity has grown but it is
> still insignificant - a recent survey estimates that less than 1% of web
> users have Opera as their browser

> Best wishes, Chris Evers

Hi Chris (Clare?),

An important point such surveys do not take into consideration is the large
numbers of users who have to change the user-agent of their browsers in order
to pretend to be an IE 5 browser, so they can view poorly designed sites.

I know nothing, and therefore can say nothing, about the Barbican site, but a
good case in point is the Royal Bank of Scotland. They deny access to their
online banking site unless you have IE or Netscape 4. Yet, if you fake the
user-agent to IE 5, Opera 6 and Konqueror 3 both work fine (Mozilla probably
would too, but I haven't tried it yet). Which goes to show that even badly
designed sites such as theirs do not need to check the browsers these days.
This practice was common a few years ago, but modern web design should
preclude this practice, even if you are using ASP/IIS (bleargh), Dreamweaver
(shudder), etc.

As Tethys says, sites that use bog standard HTML 4 or XHTML, and snazzy style
sheets, can be viewed in all browsers, even really old ones. Use of
JavaScript should be ideally restricted to non-essential stuff such as
dancing bears and flashing pop-up lights, rather than critical functionality
such as user input validation, which should be handled on the server.

Let us know how you get on!

Cheers,
Jonathan.

--