[Gllug] Hosting from home

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Oct 1 19:31:53 UTC 2002

Does anyone have any experience of hosting from home via an ADSL
connection? Yes, I know there are upstream bandwidth limitations but I'm
really looking at getting some practice hosting a couple of small sites
since I do mainly web development but would like to broaden my sysadmin
skills.

I hear a lot about running servers on old, cheap hardware but doesn't
this affect:

- disk access speed if the HD is old?
- memory performance if the RAM is old spec?

If it really is possible to use such old hardware without performance
being affected too much on small sites then I plan to set-up a network
with seperate boxes for:

- Firewall
- Web server
- Database server