[Gllug] Hosting from home

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Tue Oct 1 19:42:17 UTC 2002

>> On 2002-10-01 20:31:53, Garry Heaton <garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk> said:

   > I hear a lot about running servers on old, cheap hardware but
   > doesn't this affect:

   > - disk access speed if the HD is old?
   > - memory performance if the RAM is old spec?

Well, yes, it does.  But these aren't things that you need an abundance
of to pick up a text file from disk and throw it down a socket.  People
don't tend to talk a lot about running _database_ servers on old/cheap
hardware, and that's where things would start going wrong on busy sites.

   > Any suggestions?

It'll work.  However, the terms of service on your ADSL probably state
that you aren't allowed to run a commercial server on it.  Depends on
whether you have home or business ADSL, of course.

- Chris.
--
$a="printf.net";  Chris Ball | chris at void.$a | www.$a | finger: chris@$a

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk