[Gllug] Confiuring Fetchmail with Demon

Stig Brautaset stigbrau at start.no
Sun Oct 20 12:15:18 UTC 2002

On Oct 20 2002, Chris wrote:
> Hello,
>    I had a local smarthost mail server ("postman") running Debian 2.2 with
> Exim and IMAP, receiving SMTP mail from the Demon mailserver at
>
> post.demon.co.uk
>
>    I was about to get Demon ADSL with POP3 only, so I decided to re-load it
> with Debian 3.0 (kernel 2.4) and add Fetchmail so that it could run in
> daemon mode, polling the POP3 server at Demon every few minutes.
>    Demon use a variant on POP3 which they call SDPS, from the server
>
> pop3.demon.co.uk

You're aware that fetchmail (at the package in testing) has support for
the SDPS pop3-variant from Demon? Is that the one you're using?

>    If the username is set to the hostname, collection is POP3 multi-drop,
> but the server will also allow individual users to poll the server with the
> username set to either
>
> username+hostname
>
> or
>
> username at hostname.pop3.demon.co.uk
>
>    The POP3 server frequently times out on individual POP3 requests from my
> old Acorn computer for just a few users, but I assume that I should be able
> to collect mail for all users without polling the server for each individual
> user, then sort the incoming mail into the various local mailboxes.

So, you're saying that the multidrop don't time out? Hmm.

>    I have made several attempts at finding the correct commands from the
> selection list in the manual, but fetchmail refuses to start, and both
> fetchmail --verbose and --configdump report that no mailservers have been
> specified.

poll pop3.demon.co.uk proto sdps user username+hostname \
	with pass XXXXX is localuser here

... would be the obvious guess at a line that worked, but I'm sure
you've already tried that. Can you tell us how you call fetchmail?

Stig
--
brautaset.org

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk