[Gllug] slightly OT - linux consultancy enquiry

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Oct 24 21:01:18 UTC 2002

>Message: 14
>Subject: Re: [Gllug] slightly OT - linux consultancy enquiry
>From: Walid Shaari <walid at melinux.com>
>To: gllug at linux.co.uk
>Date: 24 Oct 2002 21:52:05 +0100
>
>On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 20:27, Pavel Bradut Boghita wrote:
>

>> In this context I mentioned that he could put the licence money to
>better use
>> by paying a consultant to set the things up for him, a file server, VPN
>> whatever they run at the moment.
>>
>> I couldn't really tell him how much this kind of consultancy would
cost him,
>> so I am hoping that people on this list could give me an idea.
>>

>How about the time, and cost of training/maintenance, if the guy(s) are
>not really interested in linux as a platform, may be its better for
>them to stick with something they know.

>Walid

I hear everywhere the claim that Linux is a cheap alternative to Windows
but is it really, considering the consultancly fees? Can someone tell me
how Linux works-out cheaper for a small business which is already using
Windows (95/98/NT)? Apart from the stability factor, why would some
small office with an NT4 server go to the trouble of replacing it with a
Samba/Linux machine if it's going to cost £750/600 per day to set-up?

I ask because I am training myself to offer such a service :-) but have
nagging doubts that no-one will want to pay for it.

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk