[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Mon Oct 28 17:06:50 UTC 2002

> I'm afraid I don't know how to do this. While the manuals look very
> impressive they have very little info on accessing the internet.
> Now if this were Windows I'd know exactly what was wrong and could explain
> myself and probably wouldn't even need to do so as I could fix the thing
> myself. This is in no way praise for that wretched piece of work. I tend to
> subscribe more to the Will Shakespeare's definition of a Microsoft
> Operating System:
>
> "A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" (King
> Lear).

Drop down to a command line (CTRL ALT F1), log in, su - (enter root
password) [or login as root which some people frown upon] :)

type "wvdialconf"
then open /etc/wvdial.conf in an editor (I favour joe, some people cry
"EMACS IS THE ONE TRUE EDITOR" and others do the same for VI, but pick one
that suits you.

This is a plain text config file with the config options almost all self
explanitory.

This is the one here (with obvious things excluded)
Password       =
Baud           = 115200
Init1          = ATZ
ISDN supported = 0
Init2          = AT Q0 V1 E1 S0=0 S2=255 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3          =
Auto DNS       = 1
Phone          =
Init8          = ATM0
Init9          =
Modem          = /dev/modem

If it's not even dialing, chances are, the dialer is not looking at the
correct serial port. If /dev/modem doesn't work, try both ttyS0 and ttyS1.

Dial Command   = ATDT
Idle Seconds   = 900
Compuserve     = 0
Ask Password   = 0
Dial Prefix    =
Username       =
Stupid Mode    = 0
Priority       = 0
Auto Reconnect = 0

Just fill in the blanks (phone, usename, password)

then run the command wvdial
See if that connects you...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk