[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Andrew Richardson ahrichardson at clara.net
Mon Oct 28 18:45:00 UTC 2002

On Monday 28 Oct 2002 4:26 pm, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
> >Dermot Moynihan(dermoyn at onetel.net.uk)@Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 03:21:10PM
+0000:
> > > I bought my first ever Linux OS Saturday: SUSE 8.1 Pro. Well, after
> > > spending all day yesterday trying to get my external modem, which it
> > > has recognised, and which appears to work, to dial my ISP's number and
> > > get me access to the Internet, and failing dismally, I'm at my wits
> > > end. The modem does work - I have Mandrake on another H/D and I checked
> > > it there and I was able to get on the Internet no problem.
> > > Don't assume from the last sentence that I know much about Linux. My
> > > knowledge would fit on the head of a pin. And a sharp one at that.
> > > I'm trying to get away from Gates but alas, the road is all up hill. I
> > > may have to invest in a pair of stout boots. They weren't included with
> > > the package.

Dermot,

Firstly, which dial up method are you using,  KPPP or something else ?
Secondly, is there an internal PCI winmodem still in the box ?

The reason I ask is that sometimes the dial up daemon can get hooked up to the
wrong modem.  The kppp utility will tell you which device is being used and
give you the chance to try the other comms ports. You might have a look at
the hardware listings as shown in KDE's control panel to see if the modem is
detected and move on from there.

Good luck

Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk