[Gllug] ntl cable modem

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Fri Oct 4 09:57:24 UTC 2002

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 06:39:00PM +0000, michael norman wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Tomorrow week i'm having ntl home broadband installed.  I intend to let them
> set it up in w98 and then set it up from Linux (SuSE8.0 but I hope 8.1 by
> then).
>
> Is ther a recommende ethernet card ?

Most cards are supported under Linux Realtek do a bargain basement NIC
for about 6 UKP that I have used very happily on both desktops and
temporarily servers in an emergency.  For about 15-18 UKP Intel do a
great NIC rock solid, PXE enabled (remote booting and other cool stuff),
you can bond multiple cards into a single interface.  If your box is
going to be dual homed this is a card you should consider.

> Are ther any other issues I should be aware of ?
>
> How good is the service.

Checkout Alan Cox's and his wife Tesla's diaries for NTL customer
service stories.

Lets just say I wish them ill.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk