[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Mon Oct 28 23:23:01 UTC 2002

At 17:06 28/10/02, you wrote:
>On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Dermot Moynihan wrote:
>
> > >is the modem dialing out?
> >
> > I don't think so.
>
>OK, step by step then:
>
>1. Are there any lights on the modem - even a power light?

Yes.

>At the very least I would expect one or two lights on a working modem that
>is turned on but not currently communicating with either a PC or a
>network.
>
>If you have some lights on the modem check that the serial cable is
>securely connected to the modem and the PC.

But this external modem worked with Mandrake which I have on another hard
drive so I think the connections should be okay. I have two removable hd's
which I swap over - until I get the hang of this SUSE.

>If both of the above are true check which device your PC is configured to
>use for the modem.
>
>Modern distros usually create a symbolic link from the real device file to
>/dev/modem. Run 'ls -al /dev/modem' to determine which real device is
>being used if this is the case.

Tried that - it gave me:    /dev/modem  ->  /dev/ttyS0

>If your modem is plugged into COM1 the real device is /dev/ttyS0

Okay that's where i am then

>For COM2 the device is /dev/ttyS1.
>
>As you've said you are using an external modem I don't expect that you
>have a COM3 (ttyS2) or COM4 (ttyS3).
>
>Once you are sure that the modem is connected to the right port run
>minicom (as root) and set it up to use that port ie:-
>
>su -
>minicom -s

When I did this I got :
minicom: command not found

>Select "Serial port setup" from the configuration menu
>ensure that option A is set to the right device file.
>ensure that option E is set to 8N1 and a suitable speed (for a 56K modem
>set it to 115200)
>ensure that hardware flow control is on.
>hit enter to return to the configuration menu
>
>Select "Exit" from the menu - this should take you to the minicom term and
>initialise your modem.
>
>Your modem should respond with an OK to prompt you.
>
>If it does not:
>
>1. Check the init string for your modem. Some modems require special init
>strings - see the documentation for your mode.
>
>2. Check the cable between the PC and modem.
>
>3. Check that you have not disabled the COM port in the BIOS.
>
>Assuming that you do get an OK prompt:
>
>type is ATDT [insert isp access number] ie:
>
>ATDT 08456651575
>
>Your modem should dial into your ISP. If it is configured to do so it will
>screach when it connects. After the connection is established you should
>recieve a "CONNECT n" from the other side indicating the connection speed.
>
>If all of this works, disconnect and quit minicom.
>
>Now you need to ensure that PPPD is properly configured. Mostly this is a
>matter of checking /etc/ppp/options (or /etc/ppp/peers/[isp name]/options)
>or using KPPP or wvdial.
>See the documentation for help on these.

Jason, I couldn't do any of the minicom stuff but I'll try to check the
options you've mentioned in the last paragraph.
Thanks for your help.
Dermot

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk