[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Tue Oct 29 12:44:54 UTC 2002

Dermot Moynihan(dermoyn at onetel.net.uk)@Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 11:48:47PM +0000:

> How can I get to this kppp thing?

you must be in X-windows, i.e. some graphical desktop, and not at the
console.  then open a shell/xterm/rxvt/konsole and type try and run it.

> By the way, I can now get the external modem to screech and wail, having
> changed the /etc/wvdial.conf file and then hitting wvdial. Unfortunately
> that's all that happens.

OK, thats a good start.  the hardware is now working correctly.  next
step is to ensure that the software which runs over it is working ok.
sounds like you have a system which is succesfully dialing in.

the next thing would be to have a look at the output from wvdial, either
redirect its output to a file, or use the scroll buffer's on almost
every x-windows terminal program.

i've never used wvdial, so i could tell you what precisely to look for.
it should be roughly obvious (reading between techie stuff) whats going
on.

the first thing i'd expect to see, after modem connection info, would be
some kind of authentication messages, either succesful or not.  look out
for things like CHAP and PAP in the output.

or you could just post the wvdial output to the list.

BTW, what happens to the modem lights after the wailing?  do most of
them go out again?  that'd indicate you've been kicked by the remote
side.  this is almost always duw to authentication problems.

HTH,
-v

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 perl -le '$_="6110>374086;2064208213:90<307;55";tr[0->][ LEOR!AUBGNSTY];print'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk