OT: OS X editors (was Re: [Gllug] ADVERT: Free Access to IBM Mainframe running Linux)

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Wed Oct 16 10:13:27 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002, at 10:52 Europe/London, Wulf
Forrester-Barker wrote:

> Are you after a native app in order to benefit from all the
> font-anti-aliasing etc?

I don't like the feel of the terminal app, and since OS X doesn't
present itself as a rootless X server (and why not?) both emacs and
vi(m) try and run in it.

> I guess I'm still a bit puzzled as to why a natively compiled open
> source text editor wouldn't do the business.

Show me one that fits into the OS X look and feel and I'll leap on it.

Your reasons for learning vi are perfectly valid, but I know enough to
get by when presented with it on a platform, and I'm trying to "go
native" in OS X. My determination is weakening, though, cos I miss
mutt. And a decent full screen emacs session ;)

> However, whatever you want, man ;-) Not having yet even touched an OS X
> box I'll now quietly step back and watch the rest of the conversation,
> since I know nothing about native applications for it.

It's a nice place to be. A little slow and clunky, but every update to
it makes it that little bit more polished and smoother. I especially
like the concept of "services" --- little apps that sit in the apple
menu, and can be used in any program. For example, I can highlight a
word, select the dictionary service, and OS X will open my favourite
web browser and look up the definition of the word. Obviously, that's a
basic example, but you get the idea.

Cheers,

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk