[Gllug] Volunteers needed for Install Fest

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Oct 25 11:21:17 UTC 2002

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 12:09:50PM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> "Ms. Lene Jensen" writes:
>
> >Ok, I am _so_ totally defending Red Hat here, so be warned.  Also, I am
> >not speaking on behalf of Red Hat, i am speaking as an enthusiast (I
> >cannot help it, I love our products).
>
> :-) FWIW, I think you have a right to be proud of your products, but I
> think you've really screwed up with RH8. I don't care about the removal
> of MP3 players (all my music is in Ogg Vorbis anyway :-). But Bluecurve
> is a horrible mistake -- not the concept, mind. I think having a common
> look and feel to the desktop is a great idea. But why did you have to
> make it so *ugly*? MS may have made XP look like it's made of playdoh,
> but there was no need for RH to follow suit!
>
> And of course, the removal of half of the programs I use on a daily basis
> (fvwm2, rxvt, ical) didn't help, either...

I must say that one of the nice things about SuSE is that *all* of these are
there. OK, you have 6 (or is it 8) install CDs, but you don't need to load them
all.

I do understand, however, what Redhat is trying to do: too much choice
confuses the naive user, it also increases the RH support/development
costs. Experienced players can always download/compile/install stuff, but
(probably being lazy) they don't want to ... it provides a motivation to change
distro -- and these are the sort of influential people that RH wants to keep on board.

It is, however, a difficult line to walk.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk