[Gllug] Cheap Linux NIC

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Sun Oct 6 21:20:02 UTC 2002

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 08:49:53PM +0100, Adam wrote:
> > Don't know about that card as there is no technical info for it (well it seems
> > anyway) but the Netgear FA311 is supported under linux and works well and is
> > just under a tenner on the site.
> >
> > The quickfind code for it is 16435
>
> It's supported and works.  IME it doesn't do well under load, especially
> full duplex.  I know of at least one person who had a lot of trouble
> getting it to play nicely with other NICs on his home network.  But
> that's the kind of performance issue you get at that price.

On the downside, it is *very* unsupported by Smoothwall. This may not be a
problem for you but is worth noting.

Telewest gave me a free one when they installed broadband but I ended up
getting a cheap secondhand 3Com as the Smoothwall guys heaped their usual
bile and scorn on this card they consider to be inadequate.

Personally, I have several running on my other PCs and have no trouble
with them. YMMV.

Simon.

--
"Is there any tea on this spaceship ?"