[Gllug] Phoneline DACSed today. Now reduced to 28.8kbps

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 9 07:03:48 UTC 2002

On Tue 08 Oct, Garry Heaton wrote:

> BT fitted a phoneline in my neighbour's flat today and I learned from
> the engineer that I've been DACSed, ie. connection split in half. Even
> my XP box, which was connecting consistenly at 48.6kbps in now reduced
> to 28.8 max. Linux box with Diamond SupraSST 56e Pro external is even
> slower though can't read connection speed from the KPPP tab. Is there a
> command line tool I can use to guage my connection speed?
>
> Has anyone any experience of this? If so, is there any precedent for
> getting BT to un-DACS if the protest is loud enough?
>
> Garry Heaton

   Apart from very intermittent bursts of speed, which dropped back before
the next time I connected, I had that sort of connection speed continuously
for the last 2 or 3 years. The last time I saw the speed increase
dramatically for a short period was just after BT were asked to check my
line for ADSL. However it could be worse, I am connected to the Acton
exchange, I have been told that the adjacent exchange covering Chiswick has
so much traffic that it is difficult getting a line at all during off-peak
periods.
   There was no change to the analogue speed on my line after BT connected
the ADSL, although when my ADSL feed arrived, a BT engineer turned up
without warning at a house two doors away and removed all the BT ADSL kit.
The son was paying for the feed by direct debit, fully paid up, but away
working. His parents let the engineer in without question, and he is still
battling to get it back.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk