[Gllug] Whitelist-only spam filtering

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Thu Sep 12 12:40:49 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 11:21, Sean Burlington wrote:
> I've been getting worried about the spam wars since MPs have started to
> get in on the act and News stories feature young girls being horrified
> to discover adverts for porn in their (parentally controllled AOL) email
> boxes.

I trust you've emailed Master Wyatt expressing your concern at his
approach and giving some positive suggestions[1]?

> Now I don't like spam, but it's a lot less annoying than advertisers
> phoning me at home  and a lot less wastefull than the buckets of
> junkmail I throw away.

TPS deals with 99% of the telesales buggers, and the 1% who don't use
the TPS get... educated not to call.

Junkmail gets recycled.

Door to door salesmen get told to bugger off.

Email junk accounts for 100+ emails into my mailbox / day (filtered off
using spamassassin)

If you're worried about that the MPs are up to let them know, make your
points clearly and calmly, sending abusive emails (as some people have
done) just makes the anti-spam, anti-approved-filtering lobby look like
nuts.

   Mark

[1] http://www.korenwolf.net/writings/wyatt-email-20020906.txt
--