[Gllug] [slightly ot] ADSL config fun

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Sep 20 08:23:44 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 10:01, John Winters wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 23:28, Chris Bell wrote:

> It's always puzzled me why they don't go the whole hog and just make the
> connection ADSL, then piggy-back any required voice circuits over it.  I
> have a point-to-point DSL connection and each of the DSL boxes has a
> telephone socket on it in addition to the Ethernet one.  When I use the
> telephone circuit it just steals about 48k from the data connection.
> You could easily piggy-back one permanent ISDN D channel over the ADSL
> connection, then snaffle bearer channels as needed.

True. True. Tears well in eyes... Sniff...
That's what ATM/Broadband ISDN was supposed to be all about.
Before you pesky PC users started wanting Ethernet everywhere.

You're entirely correct - just take an ATM connection to every home.
Provision 48K PVC for an ISDN telephone line.
Provision SVCs as needed for your IP connectivity.
Provision SVCs as needed for your video. Or whatever.

That's why at one time in the ATM world there was such fuss over 25Mbps
- before the days of cheap 100Mbps Ethernet, this beat the pants off
10Mbps. It ran over copper - so could go to the home - and was supposed
to be cheap. Plenty bandwidth for compressed video on demand - that's
what Homechoice runs over, I think.

I'll now wander back off to the old folks home.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk