[Gllug] Server v. Desktop

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Sep 20 08:14:00 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 04:35, Andrew Black wrote:
> Hi
> I am watting to install Linux on a P233 96M memory.  I mainly want to run it
> in server mode (eg telneting from other machines in the house to read mail,
> or as an IMAP server from another client).  But I might want to run in
> desktop mode sometimes.  I have another machine (P400) that I could run as a
> desktop at a later stage, but that is still needed for something else in
> short term.
>
> What are there pros and cons of installing as a server v. desktop.  Does
> server give you anything desktop mode doesnt, conversely would the presence
> of a desktop environment slow the operation as a server (I am assuming it is
> "displaying" a logon box on a switched off monitor most of the time).
>
> I have previously used (dabbled with) Redhat in server mode on a previous
> machine, so I am thinking of using Redhat but am open to other suggestions.

I agree with what Tet says.
Install whatever set of packages you like - all that Redhat are really
doing is selecting a set of packages which are appropriate to desktop
or server use. You should customise as you see fit.

Then take the following actions:

(a) as Tet says, default runlevel of 3 so the X stuff is not started
    unless you choose - by init 5 or startx

(b) make SURE you know what services/daemons are being run on your box.
    Anything you don't want or use - don't start it.
    Tools to use are chkconfig --list, ps and netstat

(c) I run Redhat on a 64Mbyte system, and that's very tight on RAM with
    Gnome. Consider installing and using a lightweight window manager
    like Icewm.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk