[Gllug] Help with setting up a Router

John Winters john at linuxemporium.co.uk
Tue Sep 17 11:29:45 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 12:12, Bush, Jonathan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was wondering if anyone could help me. I would like to set-up a Linux box
> to do my internal routing. They are all static route and will never change.
> I am familiar with RedHat 7.x but would just like to install the basic
> installation, no firewall stuff. We have two connection, one for all our
> internet traffic and the other is for our internal connection. What I need
> is all IP address that go to the internal site to be route via one IP
> address and all other traffic to go to the internet.
>
> I hope I have made my self clear on what I want, if not just ask me question
> and I'll try and answer them

I presume you mean this:

1 RH box with two NICs (Ethernet cards).  One is connected to the
outside the world.  The other is connected to an internal LAN (with
multiple machines on it).  You don't need any firewalling in the RH box
(although I suggest you might want to reconsider this).

All you need to do is set up the box with appropriate addresses on each
NIC (and implicit routes) and then a default route pointing out through
the outer interface (you'll need to know what the next machine in the
chain of steps to the outside world is).

You then just enable forwarding, either with:

    echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forwarding

or by taking the appropriate option in RH's graphical network
configurator.

HTH
John

--
The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux CDs in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

Evolution is now exciting.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk