[Gllug] shared debian cache dir

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Mon Sep 30 14:57:23 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 16:47, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> John Hearns(john.hearns at cern.ch)@Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 04:07:14PM +0200:
> > On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 15:23, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> > > I'm getting to like this thing you call debian to such an extent that i
> > > have more than one instance of it running now.  but, how can i share one
> > > copy of /var/cache/apt/archives amongst many installations?
> >
> > Vince, you ask an interesting question.
> > I'm 'into' configuration management, but with RPMs.
> >
> > One word of caution /var is the directory/partition  for a system to
> > keep its own local things - var for variable (of course you know this)
> > So maybe that's a big hint - its shouldn't be shared out.
>
> hmmm, i think you might be slightly wrong there John.
Could be!
You lead me to actually looking things up.

The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard says:
"/var contains variable data files. This includes spool directories and
files, administrative and logging data, and transient and temporary
files.
Some portions of /var are not shareable between different systems. For
instance, /var/log, /var/lock, and /var/run. Other portions may be
shared, notably /var/mail, /var/cache/man, /var/cache/fonts, and
/var/spool/news."
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-5.1.html

I stand corrected.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk