[Gllug] spamassassin

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Mon Sep 30 16:06:16 UTC 2002

Stig Brautaset <stigbrau at start.no> writes:

> On Sep 29 2002, gllug was overheard saying:
> > The spam I get nowadays have mutated so much since I wrote my procmail
> > spam filter, that my filter is often fooled. So I finally gave in and
> > installed spamassassin. I've spent some time reading the manpage etc,
> > but was wondering if anybody had any tips for do's and dont's for
> > spamasassin.
> >
> > I'm currently calling spamassassin from my .procmailrc, but I know it
> > can be integrated with MTAs as well. Would that be beneficial? (I'm
> > currently running exim).
>
> Eh, posted a bit early :(
>
> I forgot to add that I'm the only user of this machine, and that I
> download mail with fetchmail.

We're currently deforming our mail system into:
fetchmail -> exim ---> server -> procmail -> maildir
                  |--> redirect out
                  |--> client -> newsbase

I looked at integrating spamassassin with exim, and concluded that to do
it right I'd need to modify exim. However, there's a debian smtp proxy
that will do spam filtering, but I didn't go that route. Instead, I
ended up with a .procmailrc like:

# Process mail with spamassassin
:0fw
| spamassassin -P
:0
:0
/home/rw/Maildir/

hope this helps,

cheers, Rich.

rich walker | technical person | Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
front-of-tshirt space to let     251 Liverpool Road   |
                                 London  N1 1LX       | +UK 20 7700 2487

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk