[Gllug] Whitelist-only spam filtering

Jake Jellinek jj at positive-internet.com
Thu Sep 12 15:27:38 UTC 2002

Hi,

The only problems I can see with using Bayesian filters are quite
specific to the requirements I have for spam filtering, which probably
don't apply to your average home users mailbox.

First, I'm using filtering for mailboxes (shared IMAP ones) which
receive e-mail from a wide number of unknown people about a wide range
of subjects (our main good at positive-internet.com address for example
appears on letterheads, posters, mag adverts, taxi's etc.) and these
e-mails often are being sent for the attention of a number of different
people within our company from a wide variety of people on a wide
variety of subjects.

For this reason, a pattern for what we'd expect to receive would be
based upon an ever changing mix of who we happen to be employing that
year and where and how we choose to advertise the e-mail address at any
given point and perhaps even which products we are offering.

A similar thing would I presume apply if you wanted a single Bayesian
filter to filter out several users mail in a proxy/style fashion because
it appears that for maximum effectiveness the system has to have a
different statistical database for each user/mailbox.

Secondly, from my understanding of the article (which I did skim a
little) you have to be more proactive with actually making the decisions
about what is spam and what is not (at first at least) in order for the
system to begin to learn over time. With Spam Assassin (or similar
software, if there is any) the benefits to running it were seen
instantly with virtualy no configuration required.

I haven't tried a Bayesian based system though and it does sound quite
good, so perhaps I might try it and see anyway. As I've said before I'm
finding my current set up 99.9% effective anyway.

The quickest way to fill your mailbox with spam by the way is to
register a lot of domains using your e-mail address in the various
contact fields. Wait a year or less and hey presto.

Jake.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk