[Gllug] Whitelist-only spam filtering

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Sep 12 15:38:31 UTC 2002

Mark Lowes wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 14:05, Sean Burlington wrote:
>
>>I have heard rumours of AOL changing kids email systems to reject
>>anything not from an approved address (how they verify that the email
>>comes from who it claims to I don't know)
>

> At the moment we apply a very complex filtering system on the kids email
> which removes all chance of spam, junk or sales pitches getting through.
>
> Me.
>
> And to the people who cry "but it's against their human rights" I
> respond "tough, my computer, my rules, email is a privilege not a right
> and I take my responsibilities as a parent seriously."
>
>    Mark :)

s/email/communication/ and it doesn't sound so good

of course its only one form of communication  and I'm really worrying
about what may be happening in 10-20 years time when maybe all
communication will be internet based nad subject to filtering.

But then it depends on which kind of world you'd rather grow up in

authoritarian or libertarian

personally I'd rather liberty but then I don't have kids and from what I
hear it's a process that can alter your perceptions ;)

I find it very interesting that running linux brings out both
authoririan (BOFH) and libertarian (GPL/FSF) tendencies in us (I know I
have been on different side of the fence at different times).

How do your kids react to your filtering - any problems or are they glad
to be free from annoyance ?

Sean :-)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk