[Gllug] [slightly ot] ADSL config fun

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sat Sep 21 11:20:26 UTC 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 11:21:49AM +0100, Stephen Harker wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 September 2002 9:04 am, Mark Lowes wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 08:41, Chris Bell wrote:
> > >    I have been told that an ADSL box connected to a BT line must have its
> > > own official IP address because of the complications involved in PPP over
> > > ATM. I understand that the ATM data packets are all 48 Bytes, with
> > > control
> >
> > The IP connection is made by BT creating an ATM PVC between the CPE
> > (your router) and the HGR (homegateway router, BT's box at the ISP).
> >
> > If the connection is NAT then the CPE must have a routable IP on the
> > external (ATM) interface.
> >
> > If the connection is routed (ie a netblock on the ethernet) then the CPE
> > IP is still required, but can be from rfc1918 space, and the routed
> > block is included in the radius authentication so a route can be setup
> > on the HGR to the netblock via the CPE IP address.
> > </freckinghorriblesystem>
>
> Hooray. I have had the same thing and just used NAT and left it at that :-/
> It's a DLINK DSL-500 router but I gather it's the same internally as the
> DSL-504 mentioned earlier. I spoke to PlusNet support and they didn't have a
> clue. I have an IP block with them so I should be able to get no-NAT working.
> Does this mean it is a limitation of the router or do I need to call
> BT/PlusNet and get things done to the line?
> TIA
> Steve

Hi
I've used routed IP blocks on DLink 504 routers and you have to upgrade
the firmware to version 2.x (needs a Windows box). You can get the file
from ftp.dlink.co.uk but make sure you get the UK version of the firmware
and not the US version.

--
|      John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com            |

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk