[Gllug] Network maps

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Fri Sep 27 15:41:40 UTC 2002

Vincent AE Scott wrote:

> so, to sum up, for mapping at least, there's not much choice, most of
> the tools will handle a few local /24's but dont expect them to go much
> further.  OpenNMS might be an option, as John has pointed out, but it
> almost requires a super computer before it'll run.

Hmmm, could you define "supercomputer"

> it really depends on the size of the network, the free solutions should
> be OK for a small system.  if your talking enterprise, then you really
> should consider commercial offerings.  but they do cost mega moola.

Nope the free solutions are not good enough yet, and I know about the
expensive ones having used them in previous jobs. All I want is
something inbetween what I have found in the free software arena and the
paid for arena. I am getting this horrible feeling that there may well
be itches that will need to be scratched soon.

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk